Aid to Infants and Mothers (AIM)
At a Glance
The AIM Program is low-cost health care coverage for pregnant women. AIM is for middle-income families who don’t have health insurance and whose income is too high for no-cost Medi-Cal. AIM is also available to women who have private health insurance plans with a maternity-only deductible or copayment greater than $500. If you are enrolled in AIM, your baby is eligible for enrollment in Healthy Families unless your baby is enrolled in employer-sponsored insurance or no-cost Medi-Cal.
See Below for Information On:
Covered Services and Enrollees' Costs
AIM covers prenatal, delivery and postnatal services. Click here for a detailed list of all covered services.
Enrollees are required to pay a modest sum for services received. This amount will not exceed 1.5% of your income as adjusted in your application. For example, an applicant with an adjusted income of $30,000 will be responsible for a total of $450. All other costs will be paid by AIM.
Who is Eligible to Apply
- A pregnant woman age 18 or older applying for herself
- The husband of a pregnant woman
- A legal guardian or natural parent, foster parent, or stepparent with whom a pregnant child lives; however, income of a parent or legal guardian is NOT used to determine eligibility
- An emancipated minor who is not living in the home of a natural parent or adoptive parent, a legal guardian, foster parent, or stepparent, may also be an applicant.
Financial Eligibility Criteria
Applicants must meet specific financial criteria based on income and family size. In general, a family of 2 (Pregnant mother and baby) may earn up to approximately $44,000. Click here for detailed financial eligibility information and total program costs to the enrollee.
Your complete and eligible application must be postmarked before the end of your 30th week of pregnancy.
- Call toll free: (800) 433-2611
Monday – Friday (8am - 8pm) and Saturday (8am - 5pm)
- Apply Online:
- Fill out the application and mail it, along with proof of your income and expenses to the AIM Program. If complete, AIM will process your application within 10 days of receipt.
- If you need help filling it out, call the AIM Program. All help is free.
- If your application is complete and you qualify, you will receive a letter notifying you that you have been enrolled in AIM. The letter will provide you with the date your coverage starts. Your coverage starts 10 days after the date your application is approved.
- If your application is incomplete, AIM will contact you to request what is missing.
- If you do not qualify, you will receive a letter stating why you do not qualify. Your $50 initial payment will be refunded to you within approximately 6-8 weeks.